2 of 2
The perils of pedigree pooches.
Posted: 12 September 2009 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-04-26

It’s not only dogs that suffer from these purebred breeding programs, but cats as well.  My wife has had a number of Persians over the past 10 years, all of ‘pet quality’ that weren’t good enough for showing.

These cats are bred to have extremely pushed in faces, some even to the extent that their faces are concave.  Many of them have severe respiratory problems and tear duct issues which cause a distinct staining around the eyes.  Fortunately the ones that my wife has had were healthy animals and didn’t have any of the problems which are caused by excessive inbreeding for the desired traits, which is why they were sold as pet quality.

The sad thing, I think, is how much these ‘desired traits’ seem completely arbitrary.  Who cares if your cat has the most extremely pushed in face?  The things they look for tend to make the animals look LESS attractive than a pet quality in my opinion.

Posted: 12 September 2009 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Again, the quote from Over the Hedge: “My father, he was so beautiful, he could not even breathe.”

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 12 September 2009 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-09-12

Sorry, I’ve been lurking around the forums for years but I had to get in on this one.
I have a purebred Persian Cat (show quality) that was rescued from a professional breeder who was a day away form putting her down. Apparently she wasn’t breeding well and at 6 was too old to show, but all that aside she’s been a fantastic pet attitude wise.
Health wise has been another issue.
Her tongue is too big for her mouth, so it sticks out and she drools, Her eyes leak and have to be wiped twice daily (at the very least), She sleeps on my back and at night I swear she’s drowning, She has no depth perception due to her pushed in face and has to knock her water dish to tell how high the water is (from the ripples, she’s quite smart when she’s not running into walls), Her mouth (like most Persians) is further under her face then most cats so she has a hard time eating and the list goes on.
I’m convinced whoever bred these cats hated them, because as sweet as she is, half the time I expect her to just fall apart.
I don’t understand the need for this excessive breeding. It’s bad enough we do terrible things to ourselves for fashion’s sake, I don’t see why we have to push it on our pets.

Posted: 12 September 2009 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Hey, welcome to the forums, LP.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 12 September 2009 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-09-12

Thanks! In all honesty I’ve been stalking you guys for about six years.
Wow…Yep that defiantly reads as creepy as it sounded in my head. Oh well you’re probably stuck with me now.

Posted: 12 September 2009 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

LOL
Feel free to come and hang out in the Daily thread.

We don’t so much have an agenda, but it’s lots of fun.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 12 September 2009 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14
Lady Pyro - 13 September 2009 01:01 AM

Thanks! In all honesty I’ve been stalking you guys for about six years.
Wow…Yep that defiantly reads as creepy as it sounded in my head. Oh well you’re probably stuck with me now.

Stalking us for 6 years?  Geez, I never even got a creepy message or something.  wink  Welcome to the forums though.  I’m sure being stuck with you is much better than being stuck at the bottom of a swimming pool full of orange jello.  cheese

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

2 of 2