YouTube to share ad money with video makers of unexpected internet hits
Posted: 28 August 2009 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Now Huli can get rich!!! grin

Video sharing website YouTube will share advertising money with users who upload popular one-off viral videos, from skateboarding dogs to dancing babies.

The Google-owned portal already shares profits with the owners of copyright material who have formally applied to be members of a partnership programme. They have helped some makers earn thousands of pounds.

But under the new system, if a video unexpectedly collects a large number of hits, YouTube will email the maker an ‘enable revenue sharing’ message. If accepted the company would sell ads against the clip and pay the owner a revenue share each month.

Executives declined to quantify how popular a video would need to be for its owner receive the email, but the number of views and how far it had spread across the web would be considered.

However one recent example of a clip that became a global phenomenon was the JK wedding dance video, which showed a Minnesota couple’s wedding party performing an entrance dance routine.

It was seen more than 10 million times in less than a week and picked up by various TV news outlets. But according to YouTube executives, the makers never made any money from the clip.

‘These individual video partnerships recognise the role popular ‘one-off’ videos play on YouTube, and have helped many people earn thousands of dollars a month as their videos went viral and endured over time, YouTube product manager Shenaz Zack said in a blog post.

‘We’re excited to see how individual video partnerships will help even more people make money from their success on YouTube.’

The extension of the profit-sharing programme will initially only be available in the United States, but the company said it planned to launch an international version soon.

YouTube has been criticized by some Google investors, who complain that the site has failed to capitalize financially on its immense popularity.

‘We think there’s tens of thousands more partners that we can generate through this content,’ said Tom Pickett, director online sales at YouTube.

Goldman Sachs estimates that YouTube will post revenue this year of about

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 28 August 2009 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Really? Hmmm…

Now if we could just get YouTube to stop taking down the really clever AMVs we might be getting onto something hot…

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 28 August 2009 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

This way it is like hitting the lotto.  If your video goes viral, you get rewarded financially.  I know that’s not nearly as much fun as bragging to your two “real life” friends but….... wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 29 August 2009 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Heh.. South Park made a gag about how many ‘Internet Dollars’ certain internet stars were worth, including a check drawn on such virtual funds that was mostly transparent…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?