Observations: the ‘close male friend’.
Posted: 24 August 2009 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16
Bebelicious - 25 August 2009 01:15 AM

Chill man, it’s just a joke.  tongue wink

Pfft.  If it was meant to be a joke it would have been posted in the Jokes section!

raspberry

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 25 August 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-01-01
Tah - 25 August 2009 01:55 AM
Bebelicious - 25 August 2009 01:15 AM

Chill man, it’s just a joke.  tongue wink

Pfft.  If it was meant to be a joke it would have been posted in the Jokes section!

raspberry

And even jokes can be true!

Posted: 26 August 2009 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2009-06-04
Accipiter - 24 August 2009 09:41 PM
Madmouse - 24 August 2009 09:22 PM

I think it’s more common for men to use false flattery etc. just to get in a girl’s knickers.

Hey, now.  We also use true flattery for that purpose, too.  cheese

Wait, men are supposed to use flattery?

Signature 

Help my dragon grow http://dragcave.net/user/CarmenSense

Posted: 03 September 2009 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28
Tah - 24 August 2009 09:19 PM

So you can’t be honest with the guy and just tell him that stuff?

Hey, wait a minute.  Didn’t the joke say, “

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”

Posted: 03 September 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
Dily - 03 September 2009 11:12 PM
Tah - 24 August 2009 09:19 PM

So you can’t be honest with the guy and just tell him that stuff?

Hey, wait a minute.  Didn’t the joke say, “

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 03 September 2009 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Or we can all just live in monasteries and nunneries and not have to worry about women with close male friends or even men with close female friends.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 September 2009 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Tah - 03 September 2009 11:28 PM

That comment was directed at Bebe’s interpretation of things, which was basically leading the guy along and playing into his feelings.  Saying “You’re a gret guy, but I don’t like you that way” is fine.  But as pointed out the guy is still going to think there might be a time in the future when he will be accepted.

Bebe’s interpretation of things basically said that as the female you are now supposed to be leading him on, leaning on him, taking emotional comfort in his presence despite having told him you don’t think of him in “that way”.  You have to remember what I first said, too.  Men are stupid.  You can tell him that but if you continue to lead a guy on after that he’s going to think there’s still a chance there.  So tell him that and then don’t lead him on.  Simple. raspberry

I’m not sure where you got that!  Although, I do believe in taking emotional comfort in anybody’s presence.  If I’m not emotionally comfortable in someone’s presence then I do not want to be around them.  If a man feels that a woman is “leading him on”, then I would advise him that she is perhaps not the right person for him. 

I’m getting the impression that the male view is “all or nothing”.  Your comments lead me to believe that if the male is interested physically and the woman isn’t then she should have no contact with him, because if she wants to be his friend, she is leading him on.  And with most of my close male friends, I feel I should be comfortable talking about my boyfriend or anything that bothers me because I do not live in Stepford, and I expect my friends to listen and be compassionate.  If the male can’t handle that, then he should tell me that he is uncomfortable listening to my problems and ask to change the subject. 

I remember having a major crush on a guy and listening to him talk about his girlfriend problems, and thank God, I was mature enough to rise above my sexual urges and think about the emotional pain he was going through because I accepted the fact that he “didn’t like me in that way”, and if I would rather be somebody’s friend forever than a potential future ex-girlfriend.  I eventually got over the crush, but we remained friends for year.  Believe it or not, most people eventually break up, and it’s not always pretty.  If you don’t believe me, look at the divorce rate.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 04 September 2009 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
Bebelicious - 05 September 2009 12:43 AM

I’m not sure where you got that!

That was my interpretation of your “for the ladies” interpretation.  But as I said, guys are stupid.  So who knows?

I’m getting the impression that the male view is “all or nothing”.  Your comments lead me to believe that if the male is interested physically and the woman isn’t then she should have no contact with him, because if she wants to be his friend, she is leading him on.

Exactly! Or I could just be making complete blanket statements saying they are the truthful end-all, be-all of how guys look at relationships.  You know, because a joke thread where everyone is making jokes is certainly the place to be insistent on how much I know about relationships. wink

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2009 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Guys are not stupid!!!!

Ok, maybe some of them are.  But they smell good, and they have some very nice body parts that I don’t have, but enjoy borrowing (you know like the Adam’s Apple). Nothing like a big juicy Adam’s Apple to get a woman in the mood.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 05 September 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2009-06-04
Bebelicious - 05 September 2009 02:30 AM

Guys are not stupid!!!!

Ok, maybe some of them are.  But they smell good, and they have some very nice body parts that I don’t have, but enjoy borrowing (you know like the Adam’s Apple). Nothing like a big juicy Adam’s Apple to get a woman in the mood.

Yes indeed.  Adam’s Apple = Forbidden Fruit

Signature 

Help my dragon grow http://dragcave.net/user/CarmenSense

Posted: 05 September 2009 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21
CarmenSense - 05 September 2009 06:44 PM

Yes indeed.  Adam’s Apple = Forbidden Fruit

gulp
Not in MY book!  mad
More like:
Adam’s Apple = NO SALE!!  wink  cheese *

*Note: The preceding was a JOKE. It was meant to amuse. It was not meant to offend or upset in any way. Thank you.

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

2 of 3