1 of 1
{/paginate}
Britain’s secret mission to expose Scientology leader as ‘fraud’
Posted: 07 August 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

British diplomats compiled evidence 30 years ago that the founder of Scientology, L Ron Hubbard, was a “fraud”, according to National Archive papers.

Whitehall officials discovered the science-fiction writer, who invented a religion now followed by celebrities such as Tom Cruise, awarded himself a PhD from a sham college he had acquired in California.

The information was gathered in secret by workers at the British consulate in Los Angeles on behalf of the government, which feared a libel action following its 1968 decision to ban followers from entering Britain to visit the sect’s headquarters in East Grinstead, West Sussex.

The documents show Britain was not alone in probing Scientology. The dossier of evidence, gathered during the 1970s, included the extraordinary claim by an American official that the sect had sent bogus doctors to hypnotise a legal investigator and declare him

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 07 August 2009 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Hubbard started Scientology as a bet to make money. I don’t think declaring him a fraud would be that difficult.

Seeing as the group uses an “attack the attacker” mentality, Britain might be in for some unpleasantness. Some of the Scientologist plans for revenge are like something James Bond villains would come up with. Fortunately, they don’t come through (near as I’ve known).

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 07 August 2009 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

“Britain

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 08 August 2009 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Should be amusing to watch the fallout from this one…

I think it hilarious that a nation which recognizes ‘Jedi’ as a religion takes one look at $cientologits and tells them where to stuff it.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 August 2009 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 08 August 2009 04:50 AM

I think it hilarious that a nation which recognizes ‘Jedi’ as a religion takes one look at $cientologits and tells them where to stuff it.

Well, I think that if the Jedi started a whole “pay huge amounts of money for every single item or service” program the way Scientology did, then they might be less well thought of.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 08 August 2009 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Accipiter - 08 August 2009 05:04 AM

Well, I think that if the Jedi started a whole “pay huge amounts of money for every single item or service” program the way Scientology did, then they might be less well thought of.

Exactly! The only ‘organised’ Jedi that I know of are two blokes in a garage in Wales…

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 09 August 2009 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Madmouse - 08 August 2009 11:43 AM
Accipiter - 08 August 2009 05:04 AM

Exactly! The only ‘organised’ Jedi that I know of are two blokes in a garage in Wales…

“Hey!  That’s my wallet!”

“This isn’t the wallet you’re looking for.”

“That isn’t the wallet I’m looking for.  Go about your business.”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 August 2009 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
ZeldaQueen - 07 August 2009 05:58 PM

Hubbard started Scientology as a bet to make money. I don’t think declaring him a fraud would be that difficult.

Seeing as the group uses an “attack the attacker” mentality, Britain might be in for some unpleasantness. Some of the Scientologist plans for revenge are like something James Bond villains would come up with. Fortunately, they don’t come through (near as I’ve known).

Britain is safe. They may have plans on par with Bond villains. We have Bond.

Bond > Evil machinations of shadowy totalitarian organisations bent on world domination.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 09 August 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Renquist - 09 August 2009 11:04 AM
ZeldaQueen - 07 August 2009 05:58 PM

Britain is safe. They may have plans on par with Bond villains. We have Bond.

Bond > Evil machinations of shadowy totalitarian organisations bent on world domination.

Of course, that would require ZeldaQueen to get nekkid for him at some point.  And he’d mess up and end up with somebody important being killed.  But the big explosion at the end of it would be all impressive.

Signature 

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}