Cheney kept CIA program hidden from Congres
Posted: 12 July 2009 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

source

WASHINGTON (CNN)—The CIA withheld information about a secret counterterrorism program from Congress during the Bush administration on direct orders from then-Vice President Dick Cheney, current CIA director Leon Panetta told members of Congress, a knowledgeable source confirmed to CNN.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 12 July 2009 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

From the same article:

A knowledgeable source familiar with the matter said the counterterrorism program in question was initiated shortly after the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington.
The program was on-again, off-again and was never fully operational, but was rather, a tool put on the shelf that could have been used, the source said. Panetta has put an end to the program, according to the source.

Looks like a pretty non-issue.  the main jist of the article is that some folks would like the security council of 8 congressmen to be increased to 40.  This is resisted by the security advisors and the current administration. (And will be vetoed if presented tot he president.)

The CIA has always present their “secret” stuff to a small “security council” of selected congressmen.  I don’t see wht the issue is supposed to be here. hmmm

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 12 July 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

So. . .an unspecified program for unspecified purposes may or may not have been set up.  We know this because Sen. Feinstein said that Panetta said that somebody unnamed in the CIA said that Cheney said to do it that way, and because the New York times says that Panetta says that several congressmen say that Panetta said that somebody unnamed in the CIA said that Cheney said to do it that way.  Meanwhile, Panetta also says that the CIA has no policy to mislead congress.

It seems that we are missing pretty much every bit of relevant information or direct report here.

And increasing the number of people in congress who know about every CIA program from 8 to 40 sounds like a bad idea to me.  I don’t see how forty would provide any better oversight than would eight, and given the history of leaks, scandals, and the like in congress it would certainly make it much much harder for the CIA to keep classified information classified.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 July 2009 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

A program might have been kept away from the wagging tongues of congress?  I wouldn’t tell them blowhards anything if it was me, except go suck eggs.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.