HOME   |   ABOUT   |   FORUM   |   CONTACT   |   FACEBOOK   |   RSS
Abbagoochie
imageThe abbagoochie (pronounced abba-GOO-cheez) is a fierce little creature resembling a cross between an owl, a fox, and a deer. It is indigenous to Costa Rica, where people refer to it as a "dryland piranha" because it will eat anything, including creatures far larger than itself such as horses and cows. If cornered, an abbagoochie will consume itself "in a devilish whirlwind" rather than allow itself to be captured. They mate only once every 6 ½ years.

In 1999, in an ill-considered move, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (WVDNR) introduced thirteen baby Abbagoochies from Costa Rica into West Virginia in order to keep down the population of overpopulated predators such as coyotes and rattlesnakes. But soon, as reported by Jim Wilson of the Webster Echo in February 2001, the abbagoochie itself multiplied out of control and began attacking livestock. Soon after Wilson's article appeared, sightings of Abbagoochies began occurring throughout the region. Some farmers began carrying shotguns in order to protect their livestock. Concerned parents walked their kids to the schoolbus to make sure they were safe. And one man reported that he had accidentally run over an abbagoochie.
I was pooping in a bucket in my shanty due to the fact my septic system was down. Over the bank I heard the horrible noises of the abbagoochie. I was then to scared to venture out at night to poop.
Posted by Charlie Pickens  in  Ravenswood  on  Mon Jun 28, 2004  at  04:12 PM
I was burning some brush and old tupperware that I had accumilated over the years. My little Benji type dog named Bell ran over the hill. I then heard all of this commotion coming from where bell went into the brush. Here she came running her little heart out and scared out of her wits. Behind her were 3 abbagoochies running after her. It was the most frightning thing I have ever seen on the farm. One was hot on her trail with snapping jaws, the other was wearing a Mountianneer Football jearsy and the third was carring a bucket full of poop. I will never burn brush again alone!
Posted by Gary Newbrough  in  Harrisville, WV  on  Wed Jun 30, 2004  at  02:32 PM
I think they were trying to cross breed with the dog to produce a litter of abbapoochies smile
Posted by Don Joseph  on  Wed Jun 30, 2004  at  03:21 PM
Last fall i went turkey hunting on the Waston farm in Pleasants County. I set my decoys up wind and was eating a granola bar when I caught smell of a foul odor. I became excited thinking it may be Hickman but it was an abbagoochie, covered with files and nats. It went to one of my decoys and tore it to shreads. I have never seen a critter so mean since my ex-wife.
Posted by Brian Westfall  on  Mon Jul 12, 2004  at  02:38 PM
One day while I was doing maturnity work on the farm, I heard a fierce sound coming from the other side of the barn. My prize 4-H heifer which had won state honors, had her throat ripped open. Behind her was a crittrer I had never seen before or since. It was part animal, part wolf, and part hummingbird. It came at me, but I was able with my lightning speed to get away. It was the most horrible experience of my life.
Posted by jeffrey adams  on  Mon Jul 19, 2004  at  09:21 PM
I was standing near my kitchen window peeling potatos for my prize winning potato salad to be shared with my fellow employees. When I saw two glaring eyes, and they were not potato eyes! This creature was the most evil looking critter I have ever seen. I called my friend John Hunt and descibed the abomination. He said that he saw the same thing over at his place, but there was three of them. One was dragging a Herd football jearsey, One was proudly wearing a Mountaineer football jearsey and the third had a bucket full of poop!
Posted by Teresa Satterfield  in  Winding Road  on  Tue Jul 20, 2004  at  02:41 PM
I was so worried about Teresa that I ran to the top of the ridge (I have to walk all day at work and never grow tired). At first I could not find her but Gary Newbrough appeared, "we must find the magic trail" he said. As we found the "magic trail" leading into the woods, there was Patch and T surrounded at each end of the trail by 3 abbagoochies fencing them in. John thought Gary had brought a bucket of eggs from him and Belle but at the moment Patch "the wonder dog" struck out at them, they learched as Gary raised the bucket and flung the contents at them - it was poop!!!! They ran off the magic trail scared to death for their lives.
Posted by John Hunt  in  Parkersburg, West Virginia  on  Tue Jul 20, 2004  at  05:33 PM
Totally exhausted, Patch and I made it back inside the house. As we slowly walked through the 1st floor of the house rounding into the family room about to go up the steps, the answering machine was taking a message. It was the hysterical voice of Lyn Westbrook screaming for help! "The Abbagoochies" she wailed," How do I get them to stop???" "I escaped with my life, saved by a one legged rooster!" "The rooster ran them in circles to divert them so that I could escape, oh my, oh my who can save my rooster that guards my chickens?" "Quick" I said, "we must call Gary, Charlie, Brian, and John, they will rescue them and tell you how to scare away the abbagoochies." "Lyn, How many are there now?" "Nine, maybe more, it's all so hazy" said Lyn. "My stars, they have trippled in your woods, help is on its way and tell them to call so I will know everyone is safe". "Dear oh dear" I said under my breath, how will we all survive???????"
Posted by Teresa Satterfield  in  Parkersburg, West Virginia  on  Tue Jul 20, 2004  at  06:18 PM
Now I wasn't a believer in Abbagoochies at first, but one fateful night I was made a believer. It was in mid Septermber, a cold September and I was out on the back porch whittling a duck for my grandsons birthday by candle light, as I liked the glow of candles, when suddenly I saw a flash of grey fur fly past my periphery.

Now I'm not one to firighten eailsy but the speed at which that creature moved scared the daylights out of me. So I took up my whittlin knife and I held it in my throwing grip, I used to throw knives at carnivals, and when I saw that critter run past again I hurled my knife.

The sound was horrible, a mix between howl and a human scream. Quickly I grabbed my gun and went off after the animal, moving as fast as my 59 year old legs could carry me. I followed a trail of sickly red and brown blood until I came to the old creak. There in the water the wounded creature was prepared to make it's final stand. I knew that I had one shot to make my kill.

Without a sound the creature rusehd me, before i was ready. I raised my gun and pulled the trigger just as he reached me and knocked over. I knew I had shot him point blank in the chest. But I must have hit my head because I woke up just as the sun began rising. I was supprised to be alive and when I came to my senses I looked for the Abbagoochies body and there was nothing there.

To this day I keep my whittled duck hiddden in my desk drawer as a reminder of that night. I whittled something else for my grandson something with grey fur that could move like the wind. --THE END
Posted by David  on  Fri Dec 09, 2005  at  09:48 PM
abba goochi whatever?
predator extraordinare
nail biter of note.
Posted by #1F  in  NNVA  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  08:20 PM
A hoax news story
tells of loose abbagoochie
Virginians panic
Posted by J  on  Sat Nov 25, 2006  at  03:15 AM
#1F,you're haiku doesn't fit!

You're haiku is wrong
First line is seven syllables
It should have been five
Posted by J  on  Tue Dec 05, 2006  at  10:58 AM
eating crow not fun
not even for #1
oops! J is wrong, too!
Posted by #1F  in  NNVA  on  Tue Dec 05, 2006  at  10:41 PM
Abba Goochi eats
anything, no matter what
Want some fries with that?
Posted by #1F  in  NNVA  on  Tue Dec 05, 2006  at  10:48 PM
That should be

You're haiku is wrong
First line seven syllables
It should have been five
Posted by J  on  Sat Dec 09, 2006  at  03:38 AM
Rougue abbagoochie
hiding in the fields at night
Or just a rumour?
Posted by J  on  Sat Apr 07, 2007  at  06:26 AM
Abbagoochie is
A little terror hailing
From Costa Rica
Posted by Beorn  in  TN  on  Wed May 30, 2007  at  02:41 PM
During High School, a stray abbagoochie attacked livestock and killed several dogs. Abbreviated the poor poochies' lives, severing their limbs and ripping their poor mutilated bodies to shreds.
Posted by The Ventriloquist  in  Buckhannon, WV  on  Wed Nov 21, 2007  at  03:24 AM
omg.
that thing is wayyyyy ulgy.
big surprise
but its so cool looking!
i wouldn't be to happy to come face to face with one of them though..
Posted by Jennifer  in  New Jersey  on  Thu Dec 13, 2007  at  04:59 PM
Jim Wilson only said it was a hoax so people didn't get worried.
Posted by Charlie Barnes  in  Austalia  on  Sun Jan 13, 2008  at  09:05 PM
it looks like some sci-fi shit to me.
i didnt know they were real til i read this!
jeez.
Posted by frankie.  on  Mon Feb 04, 2008  at  04:31 AM
Now my story was alost fatil. Becasue one noon day me and my family was out on the deck for my 3 year old sons birth-day party. When my husband said the burgers were burning! So I ran over toward them to take them off becasue he was busy. When all of a sudden I heard a scream of a little girl. I then suddenly ran around the house to were the noise came from and seen ny 6 year old niece Jacelynn curled up in the corner/crease of my house. And there sitting there snapping at here was an adault abbagoochie. But she knew to to pertect herself so she kicked at it to keep it away! I then yelled for some help trying to ht it with a stick that I had picked up off the grounf. My husband then came and totaly took control over the situation! The abbagoochie ran off so very fast and Jacelynn was not injured. SHe had said that she was just sitting on the ground playing with her polly pocket dolls whe nshe thought that she heard our dog Buttons so she started to yell for her then out of the bushes walked an abbagoochie it then seen her and ran toward her. I am so thankful we me and my husband were out there to save her from that mean and ferousous abbagoochie!
Posted by Allison  in  West Virginia  on  Sat Mar 15, 2008  at  09:57 PM
Alright, I'm new to the haiku thing... *clears throat*

Haikus are stupid.

There we go, one line's all you need if you're blessed with true genius raspberry
Posted by Adam  in  CT  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  10:29 AM
HA! Here's a good one

New immigrant here.
Costa Rican owl-deer-fox.
Eating your puppies.
Posted by Adam  on  Thu Apr 03, 2008  at  10:31 AM
Abbagoochie?? Wtf?? I am from Costa Rica and have never heard about this (obvious) hoax.
Posted by Andres  in  San Jose, Costa Rica  on  Sat Jul 12, 2008  at  01:42 PM
It would be insane to introduce a voracious predator from a different habitat into a new one where it doesn't belong. I'm quite certain that WN Wildlife Services knows this.
Posted by Uh-huh  in  Near WV  on  Fri Sep 12, 2008  at  06:16 AM
Hi
I'm Costarrican, and I've never heard of dry-land pihrannas... I should also note that we don't have piranhas in Costa Rica...
And Abagoochie doesn't sound like an Spanish made up word...

I just never heard of a hoax related to Costa Rica, so I thought it was funny... completely non-researched though.

They may as well named it Osocaballo, which is a real animal (anteater) but whose caracteristics are remotely similar

Damn those Virginians...
Posted by lau  in  Costa Rica  on  Wed Dec 10, 2008  at  07:03 PM
i kill ed one with a bucket of dung by hitting him with a football
Posted by keegman  in  montana  on  Sun Jan 11, 2009  at  05:48 PM
If you have not checked on the status of the Abbagoochie recently, you really should do so...ASAP!
Posted by Moose  in  West Virginia Mountains  on  Fri Nov 06, 2009  at  06:18 AM
Go to http://www.abbagoochie.com
Posted by Moose  in  West Virginia Mountains  on  Fri Nov 06, 2009  at  06:21 AM
OMG people, get a life and stop making up funny stories like those on page 1. I am writing from Costa Rica and there are no Abbagoochies here.... I have never heard of such a creature in my entire life!! If it does exist, I am certain it is not from this country. I searched for pictures and the only ones I found looked similar to someone in a costume hiding behind a tree.....(hmmmm).
Posted by Ol  in  Costa Rica  on  Wed Feb 03, 2010  at  07:17 AM
It is an amazing creature! It started out as a hoax, but not anymore.
Posted by Moose  in  West Virginia Mountains  on  Sat Feb 27, 2010  at  08:59 PM
THE ABBAGOOCHIE TALE
By Jim Wilson (the son)

From the jungles of Costa Rica to the mountains of West Virginia,
They came in a dozen and one;

Their very existence was discovered by Jim Wilson,
Who was only trying to have a little fun;

Pitched by Rich, this spoof was so cleverly spun,
That it had many citizens, across the counties, on the run;

The original 13 were so bad, according to my Dad,
That people really panicked, and for this he was glad;

A true hoax, it was believed by all,
Until 2008, when the son got the call;

The truth is disclosed after many a year,
And this gives so many, so much to fear;

Daughter by his side, the son must now act,
He and his father make a pact;

I promise you Dad, your truth will be known,
On the fabric of all, it shall be sewn;

I promise you son, I will help as I can,
To find these beasts, before they eat more man
Posted by Moose  in  West Virginia Mountains  on  Sat Feb 27, 2010  at  09:01 PM
2 years ago I was bow hunting white tail deer deep in the woods of Wirt County. While in my tree stand I spotted a creature that looked very much like the images on this page. The noise this animal makes is something to give you nightmares. Something like the combination of an irritated badger and a hog in distress. When I saw it I froze, but it sensed my presence. It approached the base of my tree and began to climb. The only thing I could find while I fumbled for something to defend myself with was a bottle of fox urine I had with me to cover my scent. I quickly unscrewed the cap and dumped it in it's general direction as a panicked scream was already streaming from my mouth. I must have gotten lucky because I heard it land on the dried leaves of the forest floor and then saw it shaking it's head and making a noise that was something like "yungk, inck, yungky" and it 'trotted' off back into the deep woods and out of site. I waited about 15 minutes, trying to digest what I had just experienced and also making sure it did not return. I then slid down my tree and ran back to our hunting cabin. When my friends returned from their hunt, I mistakenly told them the story of what I had encountered. As I should have expected, they did not believe me and accused me of hitting our stock of alcohol early. I have been ridiculed and made fun of ever since. I have never gone back to that area again.
Posted by Bocephus  in  Wood County, West Virginia  on  Sun Feb 28, 2010  at  08:09 PM
Posted by Stainless steel range hoods  in  uas  on  Sat Mar 13, 2010  at  05:39 AM
This little creature looks amazing. I am new to this thing. Interesting
Posted by Top Rated  in  Manchester, UK  on  Thu Jun 03, 2010  at  01:24 PM
Glad you all survived! These encounters can be frightening. I've personally interviewed many who have claimed such experiences and have always found their accounts fascinating- thanks for telling us about them!
Posted by Moose  in  West Virginia Mountains  on  Fri Jul 23, 2010  at  07:13 AM
I live in Costa Rivca and have never ever heard of such thing, neither my parents, family or friends, until today I would have never known such thing supposedly exists in my country
Posted by Cris  in  Costa Rica  on  Fri Dec 17, 2010  at  05:46 PM
If they only mate every 6 years, how could they have spread so fast?
Posted by anonymus  in  west virginia  on  Sun Apr 29, 2012  at  06:58 AM
i'd like to have one as a pet, only i would actualy remember to keep it away from water and not feed it after mid-night
Posted by internet troll  in  australia  on  Tue May 29, 2012  at  07:23 AM
move over taz, you have a competitor now !
Posted by leupgaru  in  hellholecreek, brisbane, AU.  on  Fri Jun 29, 2012  at  06:13 PM
Laugh all you want, my friends. The Abbagoochie is real. The '99 hoax was just a revamp of the '91 - '92 events that took place in and around Upshur County. It was described as a badger type creature the size of a small car. Livestock and pets WERE slaughtered by the dozens and plenty of daytime sightings occurred. The DNR was evolved as well as the panther research people. Plenty of folks saw it, described it, and compared it to the Sago monster and the Stonecoal monster from the '60s. The Weston Wal-mart, the only one here at the time, even made a makeshift Abbagoochie from a stuffed animal's behind with eyes and a nose glued to it. It was on the wall above the sporting goods counter, right beside the Jackalope. Non-witnesses of the period joked that it was a cross between a panther, monkey, and a turkey. The '99 hoax was a parody of a well established cryptid from 1992. This infuriates me because I was a senior in high school in Upshur County at the time and had the privilege of interviewing many of the eyewitnesses in 1992. More than ten of them drew basically the same picture when asked to draw what they saw. 1999 was a hoax. 1992 was not.
Posted by James Hitt  in  Buckhannon, WV  on  Tue Mar 26, 2013  at  04:37 PM
Submit a Comment

Note: Comments by non-members are all checked by a moderator before appearing on the site. This may take a while.